Some news lately:
Big news with the former French Quarter Inn. There may be a buyer and redevelopment in the future, with a familiar name, Mr. Hakimian, formerly of the Madison. (MBJ)
More information on the recently announced Fairgrounds proposal. (Daily News)
1. UPS is doubling its presence at the airport. (Daily News)
2. Congratulations to our friends in Tipton County. Unilever announced a $100 mill expansion in nearby Covington:
“Executives of Unilever USA announced Thursday, Sept. 19, their Covington plant will expand to add 428 new jobs at what is already the largest employer in Tipton County.
The $108.7 million expansion will add the jobs over a four year period bringing the plant that makes ice cream products to 1,000 employees.
Larry Gibson, manufacturing director for the Covington plant, said the expansion puts the facility on track to become the largest ice cream plant in the world.
3. News on new cycling lanes here (Daily News). This is the third kind of bike lane in Memphis, and noteworthy for the kind of protection it provides bicyclists.
4. Local startup restaurant Rock n Dough Pizza is expanding into Jackson, TN (Daily News). This is on the heels of announcements that Tops BBQ is looking to expand within the Memphis area, Corky’s BBQ is looking to expand regionally, and Gus’s Fried Chicken has expanded into Nashville, Little Rock, and Austin. Great news for local restaurants spreading the brands of their companies, and Memphis. Memphis means quality restaurants and food!
5. In other regional news, Posturecraft Manufacturing has relocated bedding operations to Plantersville, MS. (MBJ)
6. Meet Absolute Storage Management, a local storage facility management company, which has announced that its portfolio has grown with 18 new locations throughout the South this year. (MBJ)